Sunday, December 14, 2008

December is already here...where did November go?








November literally came and went...it's hard to believe the holidays are right around the corner. Before we know it, 2009 is here. Where did the year go?

For us, our year began in September 2007, when we first began thinking about our move to Dublin. From there, ideas became reality as the planning went underway. The rest, as they say, is history. March 2008-July 2008 seems a blur of excitement, stress, celebrations, change, transition, and mixed emotions.

Now, we're already at December 2008 and life has settled down, routine has taken place, and everyday remains an adventure.

In November we celebrated our first Thanksgiving together by celebrating with a small feast for 2--mini turkey, potatoes, salad, and carrot cake. We then celebrated Thanksgiving again 2 days later with new friends with a feast for 25! Our friend Stephanie, from California, and her boyfriend, Bob, hosted an amazing gathering. With a 25-lb turkey, 3 different kinds of potatoes, a variety of veg, bread, salad, candied sweet potatoes, desserts, all topped off with free flowing wine and Irish coffee, we were stuffed, happy, and enjoyed great company.

For the potluck we were each assigned to bring 1 dish--I was assigned the candied sweet potatoes and Brian was to bring "any American dish" (if you ask me, I say he got off easy). Much to my surprise, folks loved the candied sweet potatoes...must be all the sugar. Brian brought his amazing rice krispie treats which were also devoured...our favorite comment was made by Stephanie, "MMMM, you made these the American way!!".

We are so thankful for our family and friends and while we miss you all greatly, it was nice to celebrate together and reflect on how lucky we are to be and feel so supported by everyone even being miles and miles away.

November was my hardest month since our move; the 'honeymoon' phase of being somewhere new finally wore off and I felt the emptiness of being so far away. I realized that connections with people--family, friends, and community are very important to me and that without solid connections, it feels like I am really missing out on something so vital. Since then, we have made more connections with people, been invited to things, and are slowly building a circle of friends. Some times I forget that we've ONLY been here 4 months...seems like a lot longer at times, and when I remember that it's only been 4 months, I breathe a little and think, "WOW, we're doing really well...we both have jobs, a great place, friends, and we're living in Europe!" Brian and I are really enjoying our journey here and have grown a lot together as a couple...there's definitely something to be said for starting a new life together away from the security of home.

Some things we miss apart from the obvious, family and friends:

Brian:
-a good protein smoothie (Emerald City smoothie)
-flag football
-football
-football games on t.v.
-Tuesday night soccer
-scooter (Jason better be taking good care of it)
-sushi

Rosanne:
-Tuesday and Thursday night soccer
-The Biggest Loser
-sushi
-Trader Joes
-the rest of my shoes
-talking on the phone with friends and family
-celebrating all the fun milestones for those close to us--engagements, weddings, babies
-not being a part of things

Upcoming adventures:

26th December-1st January--we're going on our honeymoon! All the details are a surprise to me, so more to come after the trip.

We wish everyone an amazing holiday season...we are thinking of everyone and are celebrating with you in spirit.

Love,
Rosanne and Brian








1 comment:

Shauna said...

Finally an update... I've been thinking about you guys lately. We finally got our first bit of snow here last night and Chels and I participated in the annual Jingle Bell Run... it was perfect. I'm excited that you're finally going on your honeymoon... that will be great. We definitely miss you here, but I'm also so jealous of your opportunity to take in a whole different world of fun and culture.. we are living vicariously through you. Merry Merry Christmas (I haven't quite gotten in the spirit here yet... maybe by the 25th?!). Love you both!
me