Saturday, December 19, 2009

2 months in review...

Why do I do this? I really wish I could be like my friend Shauna, and blog on a regular and consistent basis...one of my resolutions for 2010 is to be a better blogger. Well, here's my attempt in briefly capturing the last 2 months after the 12th October:

October 2009:

Good friends Kyle and Mabel visited us from Seattle; we enjoyed travelling to Amsterdam with them and celebrating Halloween decked out in costumes.






November 2009:

We started off the beginning of November with another trip back to the States; this time we headed to San Diego first to celebrate Holly and Jason's wedding and even got to see good friends Lindsey and Jake, their 2 kids, and Cash (their dog), then flew back to Chicago to spend time with the Feder family. Luckily for us, we were able to have a 2-hour layover in Seattle, and spent a short, but sweet time with the Carter family.

The wedding was gorgeous; the setting couldn't have been more perfect...such a beautiful setting for a beautiful couple. It was fun catching up with old friends, but of course, the time never feels long enough.

At SeaTac airport, we were able to spend some quality time with Michel and Rachel, Jason and Amy, and Waggles. We were gifted some yummy sugar coated almonds made by Rachel...she makes them every year for the holidays, and we were lucky enough to bring some back with us. Waggles, the family golden retriever, enjoyed all the attention that was doted on her by us and other bystanders in the airport. She has lived such an amazing, love-filled life...her age appears to be catching up with her and we know this may be our last time seeing her.

In Chicago, we enjoyed hanging out with my parents, my brother and sister, and BAILEY! It was so good to see and hold Bailey again; I worried that she wouldn't remember us, but she proved us wrong by slobbering us with kisses. Bailey is so loved and happy in Chicago...she couldn't be in a better place. I decided that since we don't know when we'll return to the States, it's only fair that Bailey remains where she's most loved, and right now that's in Chicago. Tami is now her proud momma...as much as it hurts, it's the right thing to do. We see her often on skype and will see her every time we visit the family. I went to a mini high school reunion with the girls after about 14 years--we all reunited via Facebook and decided that when I was in town, a mini reunion was in order. We met at Big Bowl in Lincolnshire and chatted the night away...can't wait to see them again!


Who ever said Americans can't celebrate Thanksgiving in Ireland is wrong...we attended not 1, not 2, but 3 delicious Thanksgiving dinners with wonderful company, great food, and awesome craic.



One of the best news in November is near and dear to my heart...our friend Shauna, is a momma! She went to Ethiopia and brought home her precious daughter, Maeve Mahlet Sinclair. We were able to meet this bundle of cuteness on Skype...she is ADORABLE and we can't wait to watch her grow and love on her with everyone else.
December 2009:

Holiday parties for work, brunch/cookie exchange with the girls, Chanukkah, Christmas shopping, holiday traditions, Brian's surgery...that sums up the first 3 weeks of December.
Finding a menorah in Ireland is not just nearly impossible, but impossible. So, Brian and I have improvised and used house candles instead. Next year, we may just use tea lights to minimize any fire hazards. Last year, I made a paper menorah and taped it to the wall, at least this year, we are celebrating with more 'realistic' items. We celebrate Chanukkah by remembering the story of Chanukkah, and me saying that I'll make homemade potato latkes, but never really getting there (I will this month!), and each night after lighting our candle, we give each other a small gift. The gift is to not exceed 5 euros, so it becomes a quest for creativity as well.

Brian finally had his surgery that I posted about earlier in the Fall...he put his trust and faith in Dr. Hannan Mullet, who has extensive experience in working with sport injuries, specifically shoulders. Brian had what is called shoulder stabilization surgery on the 16th December; the doctor re-attached his tendon with screws, repaired his cartilage, and fixed the "bumper" of the shoulder. Recovery is a slow, but steady process. So far, so good...Brian has experienced minimal pain and has not needed to take any of his pain killers since we've been home. He is off work for 4-weeks to allow time for his shoulder to heal; in 2 weeks he can start very basic exercises, and in 4 weeks time he will start physical therapy on a weekly basis.


This Christmas will be a very low-key and relaxing Christmas; I have yet to decide on a menu and will need to start thinking about that soon. After 3 Thanksgiving dinners, I'm thinking homemade pizza and salad sounds good. :)

We hope this holiday season brings you all much joy, love, and laughter...here's to 2010 and a healthy new year for us all.

Love,
r&b



































































































































No comments: