Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lying in my hospital bed at night after visiting hours were over and Brian had to leave, I stared at Brennan for what seemed like hours. I marveled at his little hands and feet, the size of his body, every wrinkle and crease in his skin, and the sheer beauty of him. I am a mommy now...his very being, who he is and how he is nurtured and shaped depends on us. Wow. 
 I'm not sure when the shock of his early arrival finally left me...he was due on 10/10/10 and somehow I had really convinced myself that was the day he would grace us (and the world) with his presence. I had mentally prepared myself that once my maternity leave started on the 27th September, I would finally take the time to rest, finish up the odds and ends of getting the rest of the stuff we needed, and give myself the "proper relaxing time before going through labour" (midwife's orders). Brennan had other ideas; though knowing what I know now (and still have yet to find out), no amount of time can adequately prepare you for the day your baby arrives; our life literally changed the moment we heard his healthy cries.

No comments: