It's also known for its once a month horse market that happens the first Sunday of the month. When we first moved here, I thought, wow, what a cool way to represent what Smithfield was once like with its history of horse trading. I couldn't have been more wrong...the smell and sight of what goes on is repulsive. The travelling community is a widely known presence at the horse market and while they do not have a good representation in Ireland, they definitely give themselves a bad name at this market. The mistreatment of the horses is a sad sight to see; their attitude and demeanor in a nutshell is offensive and crude.
Just two days ago at what was the biggest horse market of the year, there was a shooting and slashing in literally our 'front yard.' 2 people were shot and one man almost got his arm severed with a slash hook...there was quite a fright, people and horses running everywhere. Luckily Brennan and I were inside the apartment getting ready to head out, but we stayed behind because Brennan either needed to be fed or have his diaper changed. I only knew about it when Brian rang to see if we were okay.
Fingers crossed they'll abolish the horse market once and for all. In the meantime, our neighbourhood has made the news...you can check it out by clicking here http://www.independent.ie/national-news/three-hurt-in-shootout-at-smithfield-horse-fair-2568364.html
Until then, we'll take our friends to the area of the crime scene...and pose for pictures.
![]() |
| Colleen and I with the babies...they're both snoozin' away. |

No comments:
Post a Comment