Sunday, January 24, 2010

Operation Transformation

Three of the girls I work with have taken on their own version of Operation Transformation, an Irish version of the American programme, The Biggest Loser. They've made a pact to weigh in weekly, keep track of progress, follow the shopping list as noted on the programme, cook and eat healthy, and add in more exercise to their lifestyle. It's a joy to watch them share their triumphs, newfound recipes, and declaration that "eating healthy is not a diet, it's a way of living. I could eat like this forever!" (that's a direct quote from one of them). In this new discovery, they also share their challenges and seek support from the rest of us. It's wonderful to work in an environment that embraces the healthy culture living...prior to this recent change, I might have been laughed at for working out and eating healthy, but now they ask for ideas and support. Here's a picture of us roller blading/cycling today in Phoenix Park (our version of Central Park, but more than double the size; it's Europe's largest city park).




Brian and I have always adopted a healthy living attitude; finding the balance in life is important to us and the balance we have found suits us, but we do realize that it is different for everyone. While we try to eat "clean" the majority of the time, meaning all fresh foods, we do have a healthy balance of giving in to our sweet tooth when it calls out to us. Exercising and staying fit helps us feel in control of our bodies knowing that what we put in and exert out is all part of our long term plan of living a healthy life.

My mom is currently working hard on her own transformation; it all started with baby steps...gaining knowledge, cleaning out the kitchen, shopping for fresh food, looking at labels, and cooking fresh meals. We are extremely proud of her and hope she rubs off on my dad, but they are in this together and we're behind them all the way. Brian's mom has been amazing in her efforts to continue her daily run/walks; she goes rain or shine and is determined to go a little further with each goal. One day, I hope to enter a 5K or 10K with her...are you in Rachel?? :) Michel as long as I have known him, and for as long as Brian can remember, has been consistently active throughout his life...I'm almost certain he'd slaughter me on the racquetball court. :) Both of our siblings have always been athletic and active; however, my grandparents are my inspiration. They are in their 80s and incredibly fit. Their healthy living balance is an example to us all; they balance their life with volunteering, being active in the community, travelling, sense of humor, love, socializing, keeping up with the latest technology (the computer), exercising, eating healthy, and staying positive (among many other things). We can only hope to carry and pass on the legacy within the family.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm up to 2 miles a day (running more,walking less), 5 days a week
Love, Rachel